Zion-Lippe United Church of Christ makes monetary contributions to the following organizations.
1. Our Church's Wider Mission: (OCWM) This money is given to promote the Gospel of Jesus Christ and to help other people in the world. Some of the money is used in the USA, and the division is called "Homeland Ministries" and some of this money is used to help people who suffer in other countries of the world. This supports the work of the UCC beyond the local church through the Conferences, national ministries and the UCC related institutions.
2. C.U.E.: Ministers to serve our congregations are educated in schools called, "seminaries". Usually this requires three years of schooling followed by a time of intern training. We support their training in part by our contributions to the seminaries. The letters C.U.E. refer to "Chicago Theological Seminary" in Chicago, "United Theological Seminary" in Minneapolis, and the "Eden Theological Seminary" in St. Louis.
3. Undesignated Benevolence: This is a giving budget by Zion which the council designates to various recipients twice a year. In 2010, money was given to United Caring Shelters, Eden Seminary, Albion Fellows Bacon Center, Hoyleton, United Family Counseling Services, OCWM, and Project Notebook.
4. Second Mile Fund: The United Church of Christ has a medical missionary to work among the very poor people of the Honduras, Central America. Our Second Mile gift helps doctors in the medical mission and very basic agricultural research among the poor of that country.
5. Blanket Fund: The Blanket Fund is given through an organization of many partner churches called: Church World Service. Through this organization we send blankets and other relief immediately to people who have suffered disasters. We have come to know that blankets can be used in many ways: walls of privacy, or as robes as clothing, or even in emergency as bandages or protective coverings. Blankets can be packed and tranported easily and quickly to disaster areas.
6. One Great Hour of Sharing (OGHS): This is a special offering taken up each year to supplement other needs of the wider Christian Church.
7. Neighbors in Need: (NIN) This offering benefits the disadvantage homeland neighbors, as well as American Indian ministries in the United Church of Christ.
8. Strengthen the Church: An all-church "thank you offering" to support church growth and leadership development in the United Church of Christ. Basically it helps to start new churches and missions in newly develped communities of our nation.
9. Food Pantries: We support the food pantries at St. Peter's UCC at Parker Settlement as well as the Mt. Vernon, New Harmony, and Salem Huesler pantries. Support is provided by Zion through the Partners for Food Program, individual donations and special offerings. The 5th Sunday of the month is our time for special collection for the Food Pantries. Zion has a member on the governing board at the God's Store House Food Pantry at St. Peter's UCC.
10. United Caring Shelters (UCS): The money given to this project pays expenses to house and feed the homeless people of our community. The center is located at 324 NW 6th Street, Evansville. One of our Sunday School Classes and other members of church helps prepare and serve meals at this center on the fifth Sunday of the month. The Confirmation Class is encourage to help serve the homeless with our group from church as a part of their community service.
11. United Family Counseling Services (UFCS): This service provides counseling services to low income or unemployed people. Our church helps support this program in order for people with limited or no income may have help in getting their lives in order. The UFCS is a non-profit UCC organizaton located in Evansville.
12. Christmas Fund: Supports the needs of retired and low-income clergy and lay employees of the United Church of Christ.
13. Crossroads Children's Home: This home gives help to emotionally troubled youth and their families. Youth may reside at the Crossroads Campus and basic needs and a supportive environment are provided. Treatment and therapy programs are provided both on and off campus.
14. Heifer International: This is a program that works in the areas of livestock and agriculture to develop programs that alleviate hunger and poverty thru out the world.
15. Habitat: Supports building homes in the local community through the local UCC/DOC (United Church of Christ/Disciples of Christ) Habitat Committee.
16. Merom Conference Center: Collections at Zion help with the costs of running the UCC church camp and retreats for all ages. Located in Merom, IN.
17. Emmaus Home: Located in St. Charles, MO., their mission is to enhance the quality of life for adults of all beliefs who have cognitive, intellectual and other devopmental disabilities.
If you are interested in how to give a monetary donation to any of these groups, please contact a Church Council member or the Church's Secretary.
What is a 5 for 5 Church? This is a church which contributes financially to Our Church's Wider Mission Basic Support and the four special annual offerings of the United Church of Christ: Neighbors in Need, The Christmas Fund, One Great Hour of Sharing and Strengthen the Church.